Welcome to THE BALLY where we update you on the latest news from across London’s alternative cinema scene.
Some news about what’s happening at radiantcircus.com.
A belated welcome to 2021! It’s already been quite a year…
Over Christmas I was able – as promised! – to completely rebuild radiantcircus.com. Having seen its underpinning technologies wither on the vine of progress, the site was long overdue some care and attention. It has now been rebuilt from scratch using the latest and best free tech WordPress has to offer. When cinema screenings start again, I am raring to go. One key improvement is that it’s now easier to search and scroll back through the archive of all old posts. So, if you want to re-read my old screen diaries or just reminisce about what you might have been seeing back in the w/c 26 January 2018*, feel free to fill your boots.
I have now resumed posting as regularly as I can about what’s streaming from London’s indie cinema scene. Whilst the New Year is always a quieter time for independent exhibition, the unstructured nature of news about online events means they can be tricky to track down… I will be reaching out to exhibitors to ask them to make direct submissions. This means I can then post and share in response to their news.
In these circumstances, regular weekly listings and monthly roundups will be almost impossible to configure, but I will try my hardest to resume a reliable flow of what’s on, where. Until things get going again, I want to thank all of my subscribers and readers for your support and loyalty throughout the past years of building RADIANT CIRCUS and into the (currently) uncertain future. Let me know if I can be of any more help finding you things to see in the darkness.
Stay safe & strong,
Barker-In-Chief // RADIANT CIRCUS.
Main featured image: LITTLE MISS PERIOD (2019) screening in the Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme.
DO YOU EXHIBIT?
Our free services for indie screen promoters.
If you’re an exhibitor in Greater London, RADIANT CIRCUS offers some FREE services to help promote your screen event.
- Submit an event for inclusion in our scene LISTINGS (updated every Thursday in normal times)
- Submit a FREE profile for inclusion in our scene DIRECTORY (so audiences can find their way around)
- Check out our LISTINGS POLICY (to find out what we list, when & why).
What to see from London’s indie exhibitors.
- NOW BOOKING: BFI Flare 2021 (17 to 28 MAR)It’s great to see London’s legendary BFI Flare LGBTIQ+ Film Festival zooming back into focus as we all plan our coming out of lockdown. Here’s our pick of this year’s online event.
- NOW STREAMING: from Phoenix Cinema (19 FEB 2021+)We stay in North London for the next in our series of looks at streaming services that reward London’s indie venues with a trip to the historic Phoenix Cinema.
- NOW BOOKING: Human Rights Watch Film FestivalHuman Rights Watch Film Festival & Barbican Cinema On Demand have announced the streaming programme for this year’s online event (18 to 26 MAR 2021).
- NOW STREAMING: Sands Films Cinema ClubRecommended by a reader, we checked out the streaming programme at Sands Films Cinema Club & discovered a treasure trove of free content. Next up: John Pilger’s THE WAR YOU DON’T SEE (23 FEB – FREE!).
- NOW STREAMING: x3 French films for International Women’s Day (FREE until 10 MAR)Champions of French culture, Institut Français (home of Ciné Lumière in London), has relaunched their global streaming platform in time for International Women’s Day.
- NOW BOOKING: Essay Film Festival Preludes 1-3Ahead of their Essay Film Festival 2021, BIMI hosts a trio of FREE online events to get your juices flowing (05-19 MAR 2021).
- NOW STREAMING: from ArtHouse Crouch End (19 FEB 2021+)In the next in our series of posts looking at streaming content that gives back to London’s indie venues, we head north to ArtHouse Crouch End.
- NOW BOOKING: Bertha DocHouse presents iHUMAN + Live Q&ABertha DocHouse presents a special screening of iHUMAN (2019) plus Live Q&A with director Tonje Hessen Schei (25 FEB 19:00).
DISCOVER MORE FILM // SUPPORT INDIE CINEMA // REVIVE THE DARK
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. 40% of fees now directly supports indie cinema events across London.
The indie screen culture we love has taken a battering. Coronavirus has closed venues, silenced exhibitors & isolated audiences.
To help reanimate movies beyond the mainstream, we’ve relaunched our subscription service as a crowdfunder called REVIVE THE DARK. With the backing of enough subscribers we will be able to:
- Sponsor DIY, indie & alternative cinema
- Celebrate outstanding acts of exhibition
- Expand our scene content & coverage