Welcome to THE BALLY where we update you on the latest news from across London’s alternative cinema scene.
Some news about what’s happening at radiantcircus.com.
A belated welcome to 2021! It’s already been quite a year…
Over Christmas I was able – as promised! – to completely rebuild radiantcircus.com. Having seen its underpinning technologies wither on the vine of progress, the site was long overdue some care and attention. It has now been rebuilt from scratch using the latest and best free tech WordPress has to offer. When cinema screenings start again, I am raring to go. One key improvement is that it’s now easier to search and scroll back through the archive of all old posts. So, if you want to re-read my old screen diaries or just reminisce about what you might have been seeing back in the w/c 26 January 2018*, feel free to fill your boots.
I have now resumed posting as regularly as I can about what’s streaming from London’s indie cinema scene. Whilst the New Year is always a quieter time for independent exhibition, the unstructured nature of news about online events means they can be tricky to track down… I will be reaching out to exhibitors to ask them to make direct submissions. This means I can then post and share in response to their news.
In these circumstances, regular weekly listings and monthly roundups will be almost impossible to configure, but I will try my hardest to resume a reliable flow of what’s on, where. Until things get going again, I want to thank all of my subscribers and readers for your support and loyalty throughout the past years of building RADIANT CIRCUS and into the (currently) uncertain future. Let me know if I can be of any more help finding you things to see in the darkness.
Stay safe & strong,
Barker-In-Chief // RADIANT CIRCUS.
Main featured image: LITTLE MISS PERIOD (2019) screening in the Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme.
DO YOU EXHIBIT?
Our free services for indie screen promoters.
If you’re an exhibitor in Greater London, RADIANT CIRCUS offers some FREE services to help promote your screen event.
- Submit an event for inclusion in our scene LISTINGS (updated every Thursday in normal times)
- Submit a FREE profile for inclusion in our scene DIRECTORY (so audiences can find their way around)
- Check out our LISTINGS POLICY (to find out what we list, when & why).
What to see from London’s indie exhibitors.
- Zodiac Film Club x Final Girls Berlin present Sci-Fi Shorts at The Castle Cinema (24 AUG 2022)Final Girls Berlin are back with an evening of sci-fi horror shorts, presented in collaboration with Zodiac Film Club at The Castle Cinema (24 AUG 18.45). Part of the venue’s Summer Of Sci-Fi season (JUL to AUG).
- Bermondsey Project Space presents Loops + Q&A (13 AUG 2022)Come along to Bermondsey Project Space for a screening of works by filmmakers Ingrid Olivia Norrmén-Smith and Whitney Conti followed by a talk and Q&A session with the creative teams.
- Crap Film Club presents THE SWORD AND THE CLAW at The Old Queen’s Head (22 AUG 2022)Exploding from the same hallucinogenic netherworld as “Turkish Star Wars”, THE SWORD AND THE CLAW (original title: “Kiliç Aslan”) stars Turkish genre legend Cüneyt Arkin in his most iconic role.
- Queer Horror Nights presents POSSESSOR at The Castle Cinema (19 AUG 2022).A trans-morphing double dose of sci-fi body horror from the biological father & son of the sub-genre. Part of SUMMER OF SCI-FI at The Castle.
- Sunset Screening Sessions presents 10 British films outdoors at Beckenham Place Park (15 JUL to 20 AUG 2022).Sunset Screening Sessions are back with another outdoor season of 10 British films at Beckenham Place Park, South East London.
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).Excerpt…
DISCOVER MORE FILM // SUPPORT INDIE CINEMA // REVIVE THE DARK
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. 40% of fees now directly supports indie cinema events across London.
The indie screen culture we love has taken a battering. Coronavirus has closed venues, silenced exhibitors & isolated audiences.
To help reanimate movies beyond the mainstream, we’ve relaunched our subscription service as a crowdfunder called REVIVE THE DARK. With the backing of enough subscribers we will be able to:
- Sponsor DIY, indie & alternative cinema
- Celebrate outstanding acts of exhibition
- Expand our scene content & coverage