Welcome to THE BALLY where we update you on the latest news from across London’s alternative cinema scene.
Some news about what’s happening at radiantcircus.com.
A belated welcome to 2021! It’s already been quite a year…
Over Christmas I was able – as promised! – to completely rebuild radiantcircus.com. Having seen its underpinning technologies wither on the vine of progress, the site was long overdue some care and attention. It has now been rebuilt from scratch using the latest and best free tech WordPress has to offer. When cinema screenings start again, I am raring to go. One key improvement is that it’s now easier to search and scroll back through the archive of all old posts. So, if you want to re-read my old screen diaries or just reminisce about what you might have been seeing back in the w/c 26 January 2018*, feel free to fill your boots.
I have now resumed posting as regularly as I can about what’s streaming from London’s indie cinema scene. Whilst the New Year is always a quieter time for independent exhibition, the unstructured nature of news about online events means they can be tricky to track down… I will be reaching out to exhibitors to ask them to make direct submissions. This means I can then post and share in response to their news.
In these circumstances, regular weekly listings and monthly roundups will be almost impossible to configure, but I will try my hardest to resume a reliable flow of what’s on, where. Until things get going again, I want to thank all of my subscribers and readers for your support and loyalty throughout the past years of building RADIANT CIRCUS and into the (currently) uncertain future. Let me know if I can be of any more help finding you things to see in the darkness.
Stay safe & strong,
Barker-In-Chief // RADIANT CIRCUS.
Main featured image: LITTLE MISS PERIOD (2019) screening in the Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme.
DO YOU EXHIBIT?
Our free services for indie screen promoters.
If you’re an exhibitor in Greater London, RADIANT CIRCUS offers some FREE services to help promote your screen event.
- Submit an event for inclusion in our scene LISTINGS (updated every Thursday in normal times)
- Submit a FREE profile for inclusion in our scene DIRECTORY (so audiences can find their way around)
- Check out our LISTINGS POLICY (to find out what we list, when & why).
What to see from London’s indie exhibitors.
- Brixton Community Cinema presents THE LITTLE GIRL WHO SOLD THE SUN at Brixton Village (02 DEC 2022).The recently restored version of Djibril Diop Mambéty’s 1999 short film screens for International Day of People with Disabilities at Brixton Village.
- Cinema of Ideas presents ‘Repetition as Differentiation via LATIFAH AND HIMLI’S NOMADIC UNCLE’ curated by Jemma Desai (online 05 to 20 DEC 2022)ICO continues their innovative online collab – The Cinema Of Ideas – exploring new ideas & experimentation in film programming & audience engagement.
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)The Vito Project LGBTQ+ Film Club returns to the Cinema Museum with a new series of regular Sunday screenings.
- The Social Cinema presents FRAMEBURN at Hackney Brewery & High Hill Taproom (08 SEP to 08 DEC 2022).The Social Cinema presents a series of screenings dedicated to science-fiction films that speculate upon future climates.
DISCOVER MORE FILM // SUPPORT INDIE CINEMA // REVIVE THE DARK
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. 40% of fees now directly supports indie cinema events across London.
The indie screen culture we love has taken a battering. Coronavirus has closed venues, silenced exhibitors & isolated audiences.
To help reanimate movies beyond the mainstream, we’ve relaunched our subscription service as a crowdfunder called REVIVE THE DARK. With the backing of enough subscribers we will be able to:
- Sponsor DIY, indie & alternative cinema
- Celebrate outstanding acts of exhibition
- Expand our scene content & coverage