Welcome to THE BALLY where we update you on the latest news from across London’s alternative cinema scene.
Some news about what’s happening at radiantcircus.com.
A belated welcome to 2021! It’s already been quite a year…
Over Christmas I was able – as promised! – to completely rebuild radiantcircus.com. Having seen its underpinning technologies wither on the vine of progress, the site was long overdue some care and attention. It has now been rebuilt from scratch using the latest and best free tech WordPress has to offer. When cinema screenings start again, I am raring to go. One key improvement is that it’s now easier to search and scroll back through the archive of all old posts. So, if you want to re-read my old screen diaries or just reminisce about what you might have been seeing back in the w/c 26 January 2018*, feel free to fill your boots.
I have now resumed posting as regularly as I can about what’s streaming from London’s indie cinema scene. Whilst the New Year is always a quieter time for independent exhibition, the unstructured nature of news about online events means they can be tricky to track down… I will be reaching out to exhibitors to ask them to make direct submissions. This means I can then post and share in response to their news.
In these circumstances, regular weekly listings and monthly roundups will be almost impossible to configure, but I will try my hardest to resume a reliable flow of what’s on, where. Until things get going again, I want to thank all of my subscribers and readers for your support and loyalty throughout the past years of building RADIANT CIRCUS and into the (currently) uncertain future. Let me know if I can be of any more help finding you things to see in the darkness.
Stay safe & strong,
Barker-In-Chief // RADIANT CIRCUS.
Main featured image: LITTLE MISS PERIOD (2019) screening in the Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme.
DO YOU EXHIBIT?
Our free services for indie screen promoters.
If you’re an exhibitor in Greater London, RADIANT CIRCUS offers some FREE services to help promote your screen event.
- Submit an event for inclusion in our scene LISTINGS (updated every Thursday in normal times)
- Submit a FREE profile for inclusion in our scene DIRECTORY (so audiences can find their way around)
- Check out our LISTINGS POLICY (to find out what we list, when & why).
What to see from London’s indie exhibitors.
- Musical Sunday presents HAIRSPRAY (2007) at The Cinema Museum (07 NOV 2021).Musical Sunday returns for their 2021 season with a screening of HAIRSPRAY (2007), starring John Travolta, Queen Latifah & Nikki Blonsky.
- Sonic Cinema presents A Masterclass with Dirk Schaefer at IKLECTIK (24 OCT 2021).Celebrating the release of “Dirk Schaefer : Peter Tscherkassky, All the Soundtracks (2005–2021)” by purge.xxx, Sonic Cinema is thrilled to present a masterclass with the German composer and sound designer Dirk Schaefer.
- The ultimate SCREAM GUIDE to the best horror films in London this Halloween!Our annual RADIANT CIRCUS ‘scream guide’ brings you the best horror films in London this Halloween across DIY, indie & alternative cinema, including pop-ups, film seasons & film festivals.
- Twisted Folk, a season of folk horror films at Catford Mews (02 OCT to 10 NOV 2021).Catford Mews is rearranging the corn dollies & dancing round the standing stones to present a season of the best folk horror films from the last decade.
- Kennington Bioscope presents THE HOUSE OF TRUBNAYA at The Cinema Museum (27 OCT 2021).Silent cinema specialists Kennington Bioscope return to The Cinema Museum with a programme of Soviet silent comedy (27 OCT 19:30). Booking now!
- Lost Vampires season at ICA & The Prince Charles Cinema (25 SEP to 20 OCT 2021)Lost Vampires is a season of four films that each takes the vampire myth & transforms it into something excitingly original.
- Sonic Cinema presents The Films of Peter Tscherkassky at Cafe Oto (24 OCT 2021)Sonic Cinema presents a programme of Peter Tscherkassky’s films projected in 35mm & introduced by Stanley Schtinter at Cafe Oto.
DISCOVER MORE FILM // SUPPORT INDIE CINEMA // REVIVE THE DARK
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. 40% of fees now directly supports indie cinema events across London.
The indie screen culture we love has taken a battering. Coronavirus has closed venues, silenced exhibitors & isolated audiences.
To help reanimate movies beyond the mainstream, we’ve relaunched our subscription service as a crowdfunder called REVIVE THE DARK. With the backing of enough subscribers we will be able to:
- Sponsor DIY, indie & alternative cinema
- Celebrate outstanding acts of exhibition
- Expand our scene content & coverage