Welcome to THE BALLY where we update you on the latest news from across London’s alternative cinema scene.
Some news about what’s happening at radiantcircus.com.
A belated welcome to 2021! It’s already been quite a year…
Over Christmas I was able – as promised! – to completely rebuild radiantcircus.com. Having seen its underpinning technologies wither on the vine of progress, the site was long overdue some care and attention. It has now been rebuilt from scratch using the latest and best free tech WordPress has to offer. When cinema screenings start again, I am raring to go. One key improvement is that it’s now easier to search and scroll back through the archive of all old posts. So, if you want to re-read my old screen diaries or just reminisce about what you might have been seeing back in the w/c 26 January 2018*, feel free to fill your boots.
I have now resumed posting as regularly as I can about what’s streaming from London’s indie cinema scene. Whilst the New Year is always a quieter time for independent exhibition, the unstructured nature of news about online events means they can be tricky to track down… I will be reaching out to exhibitors to ask them to make direct submissions. This means I can then post and share in response to their news.
In these circumstances, regular weekly listings and monthly roundups will be almost impossible to configure, but I will try my hardest to resume a reliable flow of what’s on, where. Until things get going again, I want to thank all of my subscribers and readers for your support and loyalty throughout the past years of building RADIANT CIRCUS and into the (currently) uncertain future. Let me know if I can be of any more help finding you things to see in the darkness.
Stay safe & strong,
Barker-In-Chief // RADIANT CIRCUS.
Main featured image: LITTLE MISS PERIOD (2019) screening in the Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme.
DO YOU EXHIBIT?
Our free services for indie screen promoters.
If you’re an exhibitor in Greater London, RADIANT CIRCUS offers some FREE services to help promote your screen event.
- Submit an event for inclusion in our scene LISTINGS (updated every Thursday in normal times)
- Submit a FREE profile for inclusion in our scene DIRECTORY (so audiences can find their way around)
- Check out our LISTINGS POLICY (to find out what we list, when & why).
What to see from London’s indie exhibitors.
- NOW BOOKING: Moving Image Salon – Himali Singh Soin (07 AUG 14:00 – FREE online)Moving Image Artists present the next edition of their gathering for artists working in the moving image & experimental film, featuring guest artist Himali Singh Soin. FREE online event / booking essential!
- REVIVE THE DARK: Zodiac Film Club presents IN THE CUT (2003) at Mama Shelter (07 SEP 2021)We are delighted to announce the first screening to be sponsored as part of our #ReviveTheDark initiative is Jane Campion’s “criminally under-watched erotic thriller”, IN THE CUT (2003), presented by Zodiac Film Club at Mama Shelter E2 (07 SEP 18:30+).
- NOW BOOKING: Irish Film London presents DATING AMBER at Rio Cinema (08 AUG 15:45)DATING AMBER d. David Freyne, 2020 Presented by Irish Film London at Rio Cinema (08 AUG 15:45) // BOOKING NOW! In an affecting comedy drama, director David Freyne presents the story of LGBTQ+ teens, Amber and Eddie, who are having a hard time at school from homophobic bullies in 1990s Ireland. They form a secret…
- NOW BOOKING: Close-Up on Andrei Tarkovsky (from 26 JUN 2021)Close-Up Film Centre resumes public screenings on 25 JUN 2021 before launching into a stellar season featuring all 7 films by Soviet cinema titan, Andrei Tarkovsky (26 JUN to 01 AUG).
- NOW BOOKING: Splash, Scratch, Dunk! Films Made by Hand at Barbican Cinema (08 JUL to 05 AUG)Barbican Cinema has announced a short season of experimental films made entirely by hand, without a camera to accompany their exhibition “Dubuffet: Brutal Beauty”.
DISCOVER MORE FILM // SUPPORT INDIE CINEMA // REVIVE THE DARK
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. 40% of fees now directly supports indie cinema events across London.
The indie screen culture we love has taken a battering. Coronavirus has closed venues, silenced exhibitors & isolated audiences.
To help reanimate movies beyond the mainstream, we’ve relaunched our subscription service as a crowdfunder called REVIVE THE DARK. With the backing of enough subscribers we will be able to:
- Sponsor DIY, indie & alternative cinema
- Celebrate outstanding acts of exhibition
- Expand our scene content & coverage