TUESDAY 07 FEBRUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
DEATH OF A BUREAUCRAT d. Tomás Gutiérrez Alea, 1966 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cine Club at Sands Films Studios (07 FEB 20:00 – Donation requested!).
“In cooperation with Sands Films Studio, North and South London CSC is pleased to be showing Death of a Bureaucrat, a 1966 film by Tomas Guttierez Alea.”
“Alea is probably the best known of Cuba’s rich seam of post-Revolutionary film makers. He not only directed the film but wrote the screenplay and was an enormous influence in Cuban cinema and culture. He is prized for both satirical and serious treatments of issues important to the Cubans in the years following the Revolution. Watch out for filmic references to Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy and Dali at the start of the film as an added fillip.”
“This black comedy that lashes out against institutionalised bureaucracy tells the story of a young man’s attempts to disinter his uncle who was buried with a document that his widow now needs to legalize her pension. This was the first great Cuban film of international significance.”
- THE 400 BLOWS d. François Truffaut, 1959 + Intro by Jon Davies, presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (07 FEB 20:00).
- BLIND AMBITION d. Robert Coe & Warwick Ross, 2021 presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (07 FEB 20:30).
- BLUE JEAN d. Georgia Oakley, 2022 + Q&A with the producer Hélène Sifre & advisor Professor Catherine Lee at Rio Cinema (07 FEB 18:30).
- BUT I’M A CHEERLEADER d. Jamie Babbit, 1999 presented by Sticky Fingers Cinema at The Ivy House (07 FEB 19:00).
- DEATH OF A BUREAUCRAT d. Tomás Gutiérrez Alea, 1966 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cine Club at Sands Films Studios (07 FEB 20:00 – Donation requested).
- ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkin, 2022 at The David Lean (07 FEB 19:30).
- Science On Screen: GATTACA d. Andrew Niccol, 1997 + Presentation by Magdalena Skipper at Barbican (07 FEB 18:10).
- I GET KNOCKED DOWN d. Dunstan Bruce & Sophie Robinson, 2021 + Q&A with Dunstan Bruce at Hackney Picturehouse (07 FEB 20:00).
- LUZZU d. Alex Camilleri, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (07 FEB 20:00 / 08 FEB 20:00 / 12 FEB 17:00).
- NIAGARA d. Henry Hathaway, 1953 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (07 FEB 20:00).
- RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 at Phoenix Cinema (07 FEB 11:45).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THERE WILL BE BLOOD 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007 (07 FEB 14:30).
- KABOOM 35mm d. Gregg Araki, 2010 (07 FEB 18:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 15 FEB).
- SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022: 43= STALKER d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979 (07 FEB 20:10).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 23 FEB).
A TASTE OF QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 (until 09 FEB).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- FIVE EASY PIECES d. Bob Rafelson, 1970 (07 FEB 17:00).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert, 2022 (07 FEB 17:45 – 4K).
FROM THE REQUEST BOARD… at The Prince Charles
- KABOOM 35mm d. Gregg Araki, 2010 (07 FEB 18:00).
- BL METAMORPHOSIS aka メタモルフォーゼの縁側 d. Shunsuke Kariyama, 2022 (07 FEB 18:15).
- THE TOKYO NIGHT SKY IS ALWAYS THE DENSEST SHADE OF BLUE aka 映画 夜空はいつでも最高密度の青色だ d. Yuya Ishii, 2017 (07 FEB 20:45).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 31=8½ d. Federico Fellini, 1963 (07 FEB 18:00).
- 45= THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS d. Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966 (07 FEB 18:10).
- 52= NEWS FROM HOME d. Chantal Akerman, 1976 (07 FEB 20:50).
- Re-release: 41= RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 23 FEB).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- BEAU TRAVAIL 35mm d. Claire Denis, 1999 (07 FEB 12:15).
TRINTIGNANT: THE NON-CONFORMIST at Ciné Lumière
- SEE HOW THEY FALL aka Regarde les hommes tomber d. Jacques Audiard, 1993 (07 FEB 18:30).
WUXIA SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- A TOUCH OF ZEN d. King Hu, 1969 (07 FEB 20:10).
- Before the Night (03 to 08 FEB).
- From Venice… To London (03 to 06 FEB).
- St Brigid’s Day Film Festival (03 to 05 FEB).
THE WHALE dir Darren Aronofsky, 2022
Also 03 to 09 FEB (various dates/times):
- BONEY PILES aka Terykony d. Taras Tomenko, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- ROMAN HOLIDAY [4K Restoration] d. William Wyler, 1953 at: ICA.
- YOU RESEMBLE ME d. Dina Amer, 2023 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.